Thursday, December 2, 2010

The blog sloth returns to blogging



Its been over a year since I last posted something here. With all the things that I have been lucky to have experienced during that time I find it impossible to write about all of those things here. I think because of that I have also been putting off the task of writing about them. But to say the least, the last 15 months have been both professionally and personally fulfilling. Eleven incredible months spent in the interesting theater of Afghanistan, working in conditions close, if not identical, to war (Finnish politicians say it’s not war), trekking in Lapland, and flash tour of Europe. All this before heading back where I feel I need to be, which right now is: Indonesia.



My time in Afghanistan turned out to be one of the highlights of my time on this round, water covered rock we live on. The sometimes monotonous work of patrolling the deserts and villages contrasted sharply with the occasional moments of adrenaline and excitement. I found the joy of strenuous work again, working with professionals in a demanding environment for something I believe in. A few years before I started this blog I lost that feeling for work, and for some years felt claustrophobic, with life heading somewhere I didn’t feel I wanted it to go. My thoughts during and after my time in Afghanistan have only reinforced the feeling that the decisions made in the spring of 2009 were good ones.



Afghanistan is an incredible place. Starting from the incredible landscape, ending with the culture, it is an intriguing little world. Many people do not, or more often, do not want to see the greatness of different cultures. I love seeing the way other cultures think, value, or do things different from what I am used to. I do not always like everything I see, but I still love learning and trying to understand different cultures. I believe all cultures have something to learn from the lives and cultures of others.





I wont go into too much detail on my time in Afghanistan, but the position I was given, through a stroke of luck, was perfect for me. I had been a bit scared of landing an ‘office job’ that would keep me inside one of the bases for the majority of the time. I was lucky because the perfect job opened up with perfect timing which saw me working all my days outside the razor wire and blast walls of ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) bases. I was part of a small team working with and among the local population and local security forces. Sometimes the work was monotonous, patrolling on the nonexistent roads and deserts, or guarding in its various forms. Sometimes it was the opposite, with incredibly exciting and interesting operations in varying environments. But every single day I loved being in theater, working with some great people.



So what am I doing right now? I mentioned the water covered rock a little earlier, and right now I am in love with the water part. So right now I am in Asia getting to know the oceans and seas a little better. This mainly includes diving, but hopefully I will soon get a chance to try some surfing and freediving. On my way to Indonesia I made a stopover in Thailand to dive with a friend, and the days spent diving were amazing. Every day consisted of waking early (I know, this doesn’t sound like me), and spending the day on a dive boat, diving 2-3 dives, and coming back to solid ground tired, but incredibly happy. For the next few months I think I will be doing roughly the same, with most days spent in or on the water. My only criteria for my time here will be that I spend as much time in, on or near the ocean.

RANDOM FACT GENERATOR

How many hours spent carrying 30+ kg of armor, weapons and gear in 40+ degree heat in the last year?

Answer: Too many to count.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Hey! You're back (online)! These shots are great and I'm jealous of where you are!

kari said...

Hienoa Lauri. Upeita kuvia ja mukavaa tekstiä elämästäsi. Onnea matkasi kulkuun - niin fyysiseen kuin sisäiseenkin.